The School of Chemical Sciences (SCS) Job Shadow Program provides students the opportunity to learn about an occupation or industry. Students are matched with your organization for a one day visit. The Job Shadow provides the student a chance to shadow an employee (or UIUC alumni) to help develop their professional skills. In some cases, it also gives the employer a chance to identify potential student interns and/or full-time hires.
- Brand your company by exposing students to company culture and career opportunities
- Showcase what professionals in your organization do on a daily basis, and their daily challenges
- Provide students a chance to gain exposure to specific applications of their major and career interests
- Get a head start in identifying potential candidates early in their college careers
Student Selection Process
- Freshmen, Sophomores and Juniors in all majors are eligible to participate
- Employers post their shadow in I-Link
- To apply, students submit their resume on I-Link, just like they would for a job posting
- Employers screen and RANK students based on preference. I-Link processes the employer-student matches
- Students are only matched with ONE company
- If applicants are NOT ranked, then the system will NOT match any students for the shadow
Dates for the Job Shadow
The Job Shadow Program will take place on a mutually agreed upon date, preferably during the University’s Winter Break: December 19, 2016 – January 13, 2017.
JOB SHADOW TIMELINE
|Sep. 1 – Oct. 16:||Employers post Job Shadow opportunities in I-Link|
|Oct. 17 – Oct. 30:||Students submit resumes|
|Nov. 1 – Nov. 15:||Employer ranks students in Chemical Sciences (SCS) I-Link|
|Nov. 16:||SCS runs the matches within I-Link|
|Dec. 1-9:||SCS will notify students of matches|
|Jan 3-13, 2017:||Job Shadow visit occur|
|Jan 13:||Online evaluations available|
|Feb 1:||Deadline for receipt of evaluations|
Interested in participation with the SCS Job Shadow Program?
Contact Gayle Nelsen at email@example.com or 217-333-1051 to receive an Employers Guidebook and get started meeting Chemical Engineering and Chemistry students at the University of Illinois.